As we prepare for tax season, here are some tips to help you get ready.

  • Although you may not reach the requirement to file for your filing status (see below) you should still consider filing a tax return. You may be able to get any taxes withheld from your paycheck returned to you or you may qualify for the earned income credit. (single or married filing separately $9,750; married filing joint $19,500; head of household $12,500)
  • If you are considered self-employed, you must file a tax return if you made more than $400 in 2012.
  • Don’t compare yourself to your co-workers, family or friends. Everyone has a different situation (ie: married, separated, no kids, 4 kids, contributions to retirement, student loan interest, real estate taxes, mortgage interest, medical expenses) They may get a larger refund but they may also have higher expenses.

Gather and bring in:

  1. Proof of identification- picture ID
  2. Social security cards for you, your spouse and all dependents (or ITIN), as well as birth dates
  3. Wage and earning statement(s): Form W-2, 1009-R, 1099-Misc from all sources
  4. Interest & dividend statements from banks, Form 1099
  5. Bank routing and account numbers, for direct deposit, found on a check
  6. Total paid for daycare provider and the provider’s tax ID number; either the provider’s social security number or business employer identification number

Feel free to contact us with any questions. We are here to help.